2011 marks the 200th anniversary of the publication of Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen's novels have been read, translated, adapted, critiqued, and loved ever since. On May 3, the Friends of the UNCG Libraries will gather with students from the Department of English and Professor Jim Evans to read selections from Austen's first-published novel and drink tea. Please join us! We will be at the Faculty Center from 3:30-5:30 on Tuesday, May 3. Contact Kimberly Lutz at email@example.com for more information.
I posted this quiz on the many adaptations of Sense & Sensibility last week. Now, as promised, the answers, in red , below. The picture to the left? From the cover of the 2010 Marvel comic book version of the novel--we'll have it on hand at the reading next week.
1) Which actress knew, at age 22, that Sense & Sensibility would make a great movie? She later won an academy award for her screenplay and was nominated as best actress. Emma Thompson
2) How many BBC television versions of the novel have aired? For a bonus, list the dates of the series. Three BBC versions have aired: 2008, with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Charity Wakefield as Marianne; 1981 with Irene Richards and Tracey Childs as Elinor and Marianne; and 1971 with Joanna David and Ciaran Madden in those roles.
3) Clueless is to Emma what From Prada to Nada is to Sense & Sensibility. Hint, this film, which opened in January, 2011, was billed as "a Latina spin" on the novel and follows the tale of "two spoiled sisters who have been left penniless after their father's sudden death [and] are forced to move in with their estranged aunt in East Los Angeles."
4) Seth Grahame-Smith calls Jane Austen the co-author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Ben Winters similarly gives Austen her due in Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters .
5) The first musical movie based on Sense and Sensibility is set in what country? What language was it filmed in? What's its title? Set in India, Kandukondain Kandukondain (Tamil: கண்டுகொண்டேன் கண்டுகொண்டேன்; English: I Have Found It) is a 2000 Tamil-language musical and romantic film.
6) We still have time to rush to catch Sense and Sensibilty, the Musical which is being staged from April 26-May 1 at the Wellesley Summer Theater. For more information about the play, see the article in the Chronicle of Higher Education.
Email your answers to Kimberly Lutz at firstname.lastname@example.org.