Skip to main content

Benefits of the University Libraries at UNCG - A Personal Appreciation

Friends Member Charlie Brummitt recently shared these comments about the University Libraries at UNCG with us.

Jackson Library made it easy for someone who had not been in a college library in forty years, someone exploring parts of life he had missed.

A career full of focused nights, days and weekends ended on a cross-country flight with Carl Sandburg’s biography of Lincoln in my lap.   Sandburg led me to look for more of the books I missed or did not know existed and that led me to an eclectic list of a hundred works of fiction.

The list began with Things Fall Apart and ended with Memoirs of Hadrian.  (The list is alphabetical by author.)  The list led me to a firm friendship with  Jackson Library.  

Amazing books, new worlds in Borges’ Collected Fictions, Celine’s Journey to the End of the Night, Diderot’s Jacques the Fatalist and His Master and the most pleasurable to me  Joao Guimaraes Rosa’s The Devil to Pay in the Backlands  all at the Library, all windows  into other worlds.

Jackson Library made it easy for me to explore those new worlds.  Thank you.

Others interested in joining the Friends of the UNCG Libraries may do so online.

Comments