Each year the Student Government Association at UNC Greensboro works with the University Libraries to place READ posters featuring SGA leaders in Jackson Library, showing their support for the popular program developed by the American Library Association (ALA) to promote libraries nationwide. At UNCG and in the ALA program, honorees choose their favorite book and have their picture made with their book of choice. ALA’s Celebrity READ Campaign has been an internationally recognized program for more than 25 years.
The SGA president and vice-president automatically get posters each year. Other students submit their book with an essay about why it's important to him/her. The essays are then judged by a SGA panel and two are selected. This year’s READ posts were installed in Jackson Library and celebrated on March 28. Provost Dana Dunn joined them with her own poster, and all discussed why they chose their book.
Want to know the favorite books of those honored at UNCG this year:
- Senior and Student Body President Brittany Hudson Chose Michelle Obama: A Life, by Peter Slevin.
- Senior and Vice Present Allen Walker chose Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls.
- Freshman Ayana Courd chose Burn Lake, by Carrie Fountain.
- Junior Anna Kirsten Poteat chose The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
- Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Dana Dunn chose The Other America: Poverty in the United States, by Michael Harrington.